This magnificent piano was made by the London firm of John Broadwood and Sons and sent to Beethoven as a gift in 1817. Beethoven loved this Broadwood piano and played it until his death. After his death his goods were sold at auction, and the piano was bought by C.A.Spina, an art-dealer and music-publisher from Vienna. Spina gave it to Hungarian composer and musician Franz Liszt. Liszt, who admired Beethoven, kept the Broadwood when he lived in Weimar, where it remained until his death in 1886. The following year his estate donated it to the the Magyar Nemzeti Muzeum (Hungarian National Museum) in Budapest.