Myth and Allegory
The Fountain of the Rivers (Fontaine des Fleuves), is one of a pair of monumental cast iron and bronze fountains on the Place de la Concorde in Paris. Large figures supporting the fountain’s upper bowl represent the Rhône and the Rhine Rivers and Frances’ major crops in the 18th century: wheat, grapes, flowers and fruit. Construction of the fountains, created by Jacques Ignace Hittorff, was completed in 1840. Outside the frame of this photo, sculptures of Tritons or Nereids holding dolphins spraying water from their mouths decorate the fountain’s basin.