Opened in 1443 by Nicolas Rolin and his wife Guigone de Salins, the Hospices of Beaune served as a hospital for the poor until 1971. It is famous for its beautiful roof, its great hall of the poor, and it chapel and altarpiece. The altarpiece is by Roger van der Vyden, and it is now displayed in a climate-controlled space. The hospital was staffed by nuns and included a kitchen and a pharmacy. Statues of the two founders are in the garden.