Aveiro’s Art Nouveau movement in the early 20th century adopted and adapted the Portuguese use and production of tiles, decorating them with sinuous floral and plant-inspired motifs and other natural elements. Facade decorations using tiles, wrought iron, and stonework were often the only Art Nouveau elements used. Aveiro’s Art Nouveau buildings were mainly residential, The ornate facades were all about showing of economic wealth and influence of the owners, many of whom were returning emigres from Brazil. Construction and interior decoration generally followed more traditional, conservative design. Located along the Rossio waterfront in Aveiro, the façade of the former Cooperativa Agrícola is embellished with hand-painted tiles representing lilies set against a pink background. The hand-painted tiles were produced locally in the Fonte Nova Factory in 1913 and are attributed to Licínio Pinto, a celebrated local artist.
Join BeckyB’s Square in September: In the Pink. Photos must be square, and for September, have to contain something pink. See this link for more information on how to take part in BeckyB’s quarterly square challenge..