Marvelous Architecture

Rooftop Warriors

Ventilation Shafts, Casa Milà ( La Pedrera), Antonio Gaudi, 1906-1912, Barcelona, Spain

Join K’lee & Dale’s Cosmic Photo Challenge: Architectural Marvels

Delicate Elements

Patio of the Dolls

 

Patio of the maidens

Delicately carved plasterwork covers many of the architectural elements of the Real Alcázar of Seville (Reales Alcázares de Sevilla). The core of the Alcázar palace was built in the 1340s for the Christian king Peter of Castile and expanded by subsequent monarchies. A preeminent example of Mudéjar architecture, sections of the palace were built by Moorish (Mudéjar) craftsmen who remained on the Iberian Peninsula after the Christian Reconquest. It is the oldest royal palace still in use in Europe. In 1987, it was registered as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

The three photos highlight the plasterwork decorative motifs in the Patio of the Dolls and the Patio of the Maidens. For information on Nasrid plasterwork, read Nasrid plasterwork: symbolism, materials & techniques.

From Wikipedia: “In architecture Mudéjar style does not refer to a distinct architectural style but to the application of traditional Islamic ornamental and decorative elements to Christian Romanesque, Gothic, and Renaissance architectural styles, mostly taking place in Spain in the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries, although it continued to appear in Spanish architecture well after this period. It also appeared in the architecture of other countries and regions, most notably Portugal, and later in the Spanish colonies in the Americas in the 16th and 17th centuries.”

Join Lens-Artists Weekly Photo Challenge #46: Delicate

Circular in La Serenissima

La Finestra Circolare

Window with screen, Venice, Italy

  • I like this small, circular window in the Sant’Elena area of Venice, Italy. I have been playing with the new texture slider in Lightroom.

Join Nancy’s A Photo A Week: Circles and Squares

The Breakers in Newport, RI

The Grand Staircase

The Grand Staircase, The Breakers The Vanderbilt House), Newport, Rhode Island

Join the Friendly Friday Photo Challenge: Looking Up

On the Road: Newport, Rhode Island

Chateau-Sur-Mer

Once of the earliest grand houses in Newport, Chateau-Sur-Mer was built in 1852 and later expanded and remodeled.

The ballroom is one of two rooms that retain the original French style. Most of the main rooms of the house were redone in the Eastlake style when it was expanded by architect Richard Morris Hunt.

The Chateau was built by William Wetmore, who made his fortune through the China trade, an occupied by his family until the early 1960s. The grand hall was added by Hunt.

The library was designed and built by Luigi Frullili, an Italian designer. The ceiling was constructed in Florence, disassembled, and reassembled in the Chateau.

Frullili also designed the dining room, which had leather wallpaper.

The lower side of the staircases are painted with a continuous tree of life that grows to the third floor. Jut was used for the surface to paint.

On the Road Again: Newport, Rhode Island

The Gilded Age

Newport was the summer getaway for the rich in the 19th and early 20th centuries. They built summer “cottages” based on French and Italian chateaux and grand houses.

Today we toured The Breakers, the summer home of indusrialist Cornelius Vanderbilt II, possibly the richest American at the time. He made his fortune through railroads and shipping.

Built between 1893-1895, the house has 70 rooms and 20 bathrooms. The great hall was the site of many balls and parties.

The silver panels in the morning room are actually platinum and will never tarnish.

The ceiling in the billiards room is an intricate mosaic. The wrought iron chandelier is so heavy it had to be attached to supporting beams. Because a previous house had burned, Vanderbilt required the structural elements be steel instead of wood.

The Circassian walnut and gilded panels in the library were designed to look like tooled leather.

The solid marble tub in Mr. Vanderbilt’s bathroom had to be filled with hot water several times before the stone was warm enough for the bather to enter the tub.

Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, the founder of the Whitney Museum, was a daughter of the house. This is part of her bedroom.

The grand staircase was designed with steps 2 inches shallower than normal so women wouldn’t trip on their long dresses.

Below stairs, though actually on the first floor level, a huge kitchen was the site of meal preparation.

Unfortunately, Mr. Vanderbilt only enjoyed one summer at The Breakers before falling ill. He died in 1899. The house remained in family hands until 1948, when it was leased to the Perservation Society of Newport County. They purchased the house and 90% of the furnishings in 1972.

The Breakers and other gilded age properties of the Preservation Society are open to the public, though check the seasonal closures if you plan to visit. Hopefully, the sun will come out tomorrow.

%d bloggers like this: