Lines Squared #1

Gothic Simplicity

Gothic Window, Alcabaça Monastery, Alcabaça, Portugal

A bit of Portugal for my first square. It seem fitting as a salute to Becky, our host for this challenge, who has a second blog Becky In Portugal

Join Becky from The Life of B for October Squares: Lines and Squares.   There are only two rules. The image must be square and relate to the October theme:  lines&squares.

 

In the Niche

Votive Sculpture

Votive Statue, Cloister of Silence, Alcabaça Monastery,Alcabaça, Portugal

Join Mind over Memory’s Sculpture Saturday Week 6

Candid Camera

The Aria

The Aria, Alcobaça , Portugal

An tenor belts out an aria in a exterior passageway at the Monastery of Alcobaça in Alcobaça, Portugal

Join Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge: Candid Photography (People or Animals)

Blue Squared #12

Aveiro Blues

Aveiro Blues

Join Becky’s July Squares: Blue #26. There are only two rules. The photo must be square and it must somehow be blue (color, theme, concept, etc.)

Sculpture Imprisioned

Locked Up in Lisbon

During repairs at Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcantara,  a miradouros (viewpoint) and garden with a panoramic view of Lisbon, the sculptures normally in the garden area were behind a fence for security.

join Frank’s Tuesday Photo Challenge: Sculpture

Sacred Details: The Ceiling of the Clérigos Church

Look Toward the Heavens

 

 

 

The Clérigos Church in Porto, Portugal, was built for the Brotherhood of the Clérigos (Clergy) by Nicolau Nasoni, an Italian architect and painter who left an extensive body of work in the north of Portugal during the 18th century.

Construction of the church proper began in 1732 and was completed in 1750; the bell tower and the monumental divided stairway in front of the church were completed in 1763.  The Clérigos Church was one of the first baroque churches in Portugal to adopt a typical baroque elliptic floor plan, which is reflected in the ceiling and its decoration.

The coat of arms of the Brotherhood of the Clerics was created after the Fraternity of Our Lady of Mercy, St. Peter ad Vincula and St. Philip Neri joined to become what is now called the Brotherhood in 1707.The coat of arms combines the monogram of Mary (AM), the keys and the papal tiara of St. Peter, and the lily of St. Philip Néri.  See for further information.  http://www.torredosclerigos.pt/en/brotherhood-clerics/brotherhood-history

Join Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #54: Detail.

 

%d bloggers like this: