Medieval Waiting

Waiting area outside the entrance to the Augustinian monastery, Santi Quattro Coronati, Rome, Italy.

Waiting area outside the entrance to the Santi Quattro Coronati Monastery in Rome, Italy. Currently, 13 Augustinian sisters reside in the monastery adjoining the 12th-century Santi Quattro Coronati basilica. The order is cloistered and has little contact with the public.  On the wall to the left of  the sitting area there is a small grilled window for communications and an old rotating cylinder cupboard originally meant for dropping off abandoned babies. Beginning in the mid 1500’s, the sisters ran on orphanage at the site for over 300 years.

Join XingfuMama’s Pull Up A Seat #46

Eleonora’s Chapel

Ceiling of Eleonora of Toledo’s chapel in the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. It was decorated by Bronzino from 1540 to 1565. Eleonora was the wife of Cosimo I de Medici.

Stacked Offerings

Temple Offerings

Temple Offerings For Sale, Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, Kandy, Sri Lanka

Located in the royal palace complex in capital of  the former Kingdom of Kandy, the Buddhist Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic houses a relic of the tooth of the Buddha.  Kandy was the last capital of the Sri Lankan kings and is a World Heritage Site. Flowers are a typical offering in temples in Sri Lanka.

Join Nancy’s A Photo A Week Challenge: Stacked

A Holy Book

Religious Text on Altar, Roskilde Cathedral, Roskilde, Denmark

Join Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Books and Paper

Golden Bells

It’s in the Details

Golden Bells, Tower of Hope, part of the former Crystal Cathedral, Garden Grove, California

Christ Cathedral, once called the Crystal Cathedral and the site of televangelist Robert Schuller’s “Hour of Power,” is now part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange in Garden Grove, California. The Golden Bells are part of the exterior architectural elements of the Tower of Hope, a 13-story office complex on the grounds of the church.  Designed in 1968 by  architect Richard Neutra and his son Dion, the Tower of Hope was the tallest building in Orange County when it opened. The fiberglass golden bells, donated by Walt Disney and known as the “Disney Bells,” don’t ring

Join K’lee & Dale’s Cosmic Photo Challenge: Architectural Digestif

Sacred Details: The Ceiling of the Clérigos Church

Look Toward the Heavens

 

 

 

The Clérigos Church in Porto, Portugal, was built for the Brotherhood of the Clérigos (Clergy) by Nicolau Nasoni, an Italian architect and painter who left an extensive body of work in the north of Portugal during the 18th century.

Construction of the church proper began in 1732 and was completed in 1750; the bell tower and the monumental divided stairway in front of the church were completed in 1763.  The Clérigos Church was one of the first baroque churches in Portugal to adopt a typical baroque elliptic floor plan, which is reflected in the ceiling and its decoration.

The coat of arms of the Brotherhood of the Clerics was created after the Fraternity of Our Lady of Mercy, St. Peter ad Vincula and St. Philip Neri joined to become what is now called the Brotherhood in 1707.The coat of arms combines the monogram of Mary (AM), the keys and the papal tiara of St. Peter, and the lily of St. Philip Néri.  See for further information.  http://www.torredosclerigos.pt/en/brotherhood-clerics/brotherhood-history

Join Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #54: Detail.

 

%d bloggers like this: