The Clérigos Church in Porto, Portugal, was built for the Brotherhood of the Clérigos (Clergy) by Nicolau Nasoni, an Italian architect and painter who left an extensive body of work in the north of Portugal during the 18th century.
Construction of the church proper began in 1732 and was completed in 1750; the bell tower and the monumental divided stairway in front of the church were completed in 1763. The Clérigos Church was one of the first baroque churches in Portugal to adopt a typical baroque elliptic floor plan, which is reflected in the ceiling and its decoration.
The coat of arms of the Brotherhood of the Clerics was created after the Fraternity of Our Lady of Mercy, St. Peter ad Vincula and St. Philip Neri joined to become what is now called the Brotherhood in 1707.The coat of arms combines the monogram of Mary (AM), the keys and the papal tiara of St. Peter, and the lily of St. Philip Néri. See for further information. http://www.torredosclerigos.pt/en/brotherhood-clerics/brotherhood-history
A bit of Portugal for Becky.
Join Becki’s July Squares: Blue #9. There are only two rules. The photo must be square and it must somehow be blue (color, theme, concept, etc.)
Join Jenn at WitsEnd Weekly Photo Challenge: Bright Colors
Sé Velha, or the Old Cathedral, is a Romanesque church dating to the late 12th and early 13th centuries when Coimbra was still the capital of Portugal. Instead of a dome, a Romanesque lantern-tower surmounts the transept crossing. The tower windows are one of the main sources of natural light in the cathedral. Sé Velha is the only Portuguese cathedral built during the Reconquista era which has survived relatively intact.
Join Cee’s Black & White Challenge: Made by Humans